Threading is an ancient hair removal method that originates from theMiddle East but is now continued in many other countries. Threading hair removal has now become quite popular in Western countries as well. While threading is primarily used for the removal of facial hair, but it can be used to remove unwanted hair anywhere on the body. Threading is similar to tweezing but a lot faster. Unlike waxing or tweezing, threading is more precise and less painful too.
It is said that women in Arab countries use threading as a common method of hair removal. In Persia, threading is a part of the Persian culture where it is known as “Bande Abru”, “Abru” meaning eyebrow and “Band” meaning thread. Originally, Iranian women would use threading for hair removal during special occasions or when getting married, but it is now commonly used in the country for facial hair removal. In ancient Persia, when a girl start threading it would signify that she had become a woman and reached adulthood.
How is threading performed?
To perform threading, a twisted, thin and pure cotton thread is used by practitioners. The standard of cotton thread is doubled up and the thread is anchored in the teeth. The thread is rolled and wrapped around unwanted hairs, which are then plucked at the follicle level. In tweezing, a practitioner pulls out a single hair each time, where as in threading, a whole row of hair can be removed, which results in a straighter line. However, for some, threading hair removal can be quite painful since a larger area of hair is removed at once.
Threading can cause ingrown hairs and skin irritation just like other hair removal methods like waxing or plucking. Since the top layer of skin are not traumatized or peeled, threading is an alternative for those who use Accutane, use Retin-A, and similar products, or those with sensitive skin, as long as it is done properly. The twists of the cotton thread yank out rows of stray hairs.
How long do the results of threading last?
Since hairs are pulled out from the roots, so the results of threading are typically long-lasting and last up to 6 weeks, depending on an individual’s hair growth cycle. Another great benefit of threading is that even the tiny hairs are removed. Any hair that is long enough to get trapped by the thread, as small as 16th of an inch, can be removed. The results of tweezing or waxing are not as precise. Hairs need to be long enough so they can be grabbed and plucked with tweezing and hair must be at least a quarter inch to be removed by with waxing.
Pros & Cons of Threading
– Threading is a highly sanitary procedure since nothing touches the skin apart from the tread, which is thrown away later.
– The concise results of threading help people get their eyebrows properly shaped.
– No chemicals are involved in threading.
– Unlike other hair removal methods, threading is a lot quicker, for instance it can take merely 2 minutes to thread eyebrows.
– Eventually, permanent results can also be produced with threading since continuous threading damages the hair follicles, stopping the growth of hair.
– Instead of being removed, hair follicles can break if the practitioner performing the treading is not experienced enough, which means quicker re-growth of hair.
– Finding a practitioner experience at threading can be a bit challenging.
– Hair must by at least sixteenth of an inch long in order for threading to work.
– At times, threading can be quite painful.
Why is threading better than other hair removal methods?
Unlike waxing, no foreign substances are required for threading. This is why people who do not want any foreign chemicals or materials to come in contact with their skin tend to prefer threading over hair removal methods. People who use acne medication are recommended by most dermatologists to get their hair removed with threading. People often suffer adverse side effects after getting hair removed with plucking or waxing, so they decide to go for threading instead. Along with the hair, a layer of skin can also be removed by waxing, especially in people with fragile or delicate skin.
Thus, threading hair removal is an ideal method of removing hair and has numerous advantages over other methods of hair removal.